Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Refreshing Cucumber Herb Salad


It's pathetic how spoiled I am from living here in Southern California. It's so beautiful but let me tell you, summer isn't over yet. We still a couple weeks left but that doesn't mean that it's going to cool down exactly on September 22nd when Fall makes it way in. It feels as if summer has just begun, I guess it's because of the May Gray and June Gloom, when it was cool and cloudy majority of the time and it felt more like Fall than Summer. During that time, I would complain about the absence of the sun.  Now, I'm so ready for the cooler temps again. You always want what you can't have, isn't it true? 


We recently took a trip back to Chicago to visit family and friends and boy, was it hot there! I've already forgotten what the summer is like in the Midwest...hot and swampy! Thankfully, it's not that humid here but it hasn't been the normal 72°F for weeks now and quite frankly, I'm sick of it! (So spoiled!) Our apartment has been pretty warm especially since we don't have air conditioning, but honestly we really don't need it...I guess. (I know what you're thinking, what a brat! But I'd like to point out the fact that just a few lines up and the opening line of this post, I mention the fact that I am indeed, spoiled. I am aware of the fact.) We've kept the ceiling fans on and placed smaller fans in the windows to bring in the cool night air. Needless to say, I'm so ready for fall.  But since we don't really get that beautiful, wonderful season in the Southwest, I need to cool things down a bit with a refreshing cucumber salad...before my head explodes!  (In all honesty, it hasn't been THAT hot...but GOSH!)




I was inspired by a recipe from Cooking Light on myrecipes.com and the enormous cucumbers I picked up from the market.  Of course, I changed the recipe and added some Green Ritual flair, making it vegan.  I love simple fresh dishes that use herbs and lemons and that have amazing color. A feast for the eyes! This dish works great as a side but can definitely be served on it's own.  Just make sure that you don't make too much because the leftovers are not that great. The cucumbers release too much liquid making a huge sloppy mess. This recipe is enough for two people but can easily be cut in half for only one serving. 



If you want to be a copy cat and have long thin, beautiful slices of gorgeous cukes (what I call cucumbers in the safety of my own home) then you will need a mandolin. If not, then slice the cucumbers anyway you like, I don't really care. It will still taste the same! But mandolins are awesome! I got a fairly cheap one from Bed Bath & Beyond and it's not too shabby. For this recipe, I sliced the shallots and cukes using my new kitchen toy.  If you do decide to go my route, PLEASE be careful, the blade is extremely sharp! Mandolin accidents are common, especially in culinary school. Thankfully, I never cut myself in school but I did receive plenty of burns!




The herby part of the salad was brought to you by dill and tarragon, but please feel free to play around with other herbs as well. Mint would be fantastic as well as parsley.  Tarragon has an anise flavor and is very aromatic...and I guess you could take that as a warning.  A little goes a long way.  As for the dill, I feel that it is essential in this recipe, so I wouldn't recommend leaving it out. Dill and cucumbers are a match made in heaven. I love you, pickles! Another key ingredient are the capers. They add a satisfying saltiness and tang to the overall flavor. 


Also, instead of using dairy, which is recommended in the original recipe, I replaced it with cashew cream! Soak cashews in water for about 4 hours (or if you have a Vitamix Blender you can just throw them in with a little water and blend away because it is a super powerful, almighty piece of kitchen equipment!!) but the soaking will help soften the nuts and they will blend pretty nicely in any blender.  If needed, strain out any leftover bits your (weak) blender leaves behind. And, no, I am not a Vitamix Sales rep! It was one of the best decisions I've ever made in making a kitchen equipment purchase. 


Refreshing Cucumber Salad

Makes 2-3 servings. Best if eaten right away. 


Ingredients:

1 Large (or 2 small) Cucumbers - Organic is best so you can use the skin.
1/3 cup Pickled Shallots (recipe below)
1/4 cup Cappers roughly chopped
2 TBSP of Dill chopped
1-2 TBSP Tarragon - I picked some leaves off the stems and threw them in with the salad.
Vinaigrette recipe below


1. Using a mandolin with the thinnest setting, slice the cucumber lengthwise. Be careful! I sliced mine into a medium mixing bowl. 

2. Add chopped cappers, pickled shallots (I had about a 1/4 cup of pickled shallots leftover. Use as much as you like), to the bowl of sliced cucumbers and drizzle vinaigrette over. Toss to coat.
3. At the end add the chopped dill and tarragon leaves on top.  Just lovely.


Vinaigrette: 

1/4 cup of cashew cream (1/2 cup of raw cashews and 3/4 cup of water blend until thick and creamy, 2 minutes)
Juice from half a lemon
1 TSP of honey (or more if you want it sweeter)
1 TSP of Dill fronds
5-7 Tarragon leaves 
1 small garlic clove (or half of a big clove)
TT Sea Salt
TT Freshly ground black pepper


1. Blend all the ingredients together but season with sea salt and pepper at the end. TT means to taste. Add as much or as little as you like. 




Pickled Shallots 

This method is a quick pickling method and can be used with onions as well. Inspired by this recipe from My New Roots.


Ingrediets:

1 cup Apple cider vinegar
1 Large Shallot thinly sliced (I used the mandolin for this)
2 TBSP of Raw Sugar
2 TSP of Sea Salt
1 TSP of Peppercorns 
1 Bay Leaf


1. Heat apple cider vinegar on stove until simmering. Add bay leaf, peppercorns, sugar and salt, stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Then add and thinly sliced shallot, cook for 1 more minute, then remove from heat.  You can set aside and let it reach room temp.  I placed mine in a glass jar and put it in the fridge until I was ready to use it.



Such a light and fragrant dish that will surely cool things down.  Enjoy while sitting on a patio or at a picnic, or at the beach watching the sunset. Summer's almost over folks! Make sure to get a few rounds of Frisbee in before it gets too cold and catch a couple fireflies for me, but please let them go after a few minutes, ok?


Summer love and butterflies,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment