Thursday, March 22, 2012

Roasted Cashew Butter

I needed a dessert.  I had to have it!  This becomes a dangerous time for me because I love to cook and sometimes, I would do anything to quench the craving for something sweet. I will go out of my way, bust out the Kitchen Aid mixer and search the pantry for chocolate chips. Doing just that, I searched and searched for the ingredients to make cookies but no chocolate chips were to be found.  In my crazed state, I reached for my purse and my jacket ready to head out the door to some awful place to get my fix, probably a blizzard from Dairy Queen...

I took a deep breath, a step back, and put my purse and keys down then went back to the pantry.  You can do this, I told myself.  There on the shelf, sitting very pretty in their plastic bag were raw cashews.  I smiled and thought about how happy these boomeranged shaped vessels of loved made me feel.  They were comforting and that's exactly what I needed at this point.  I thought to myself, I'm going to make this easy.  Puree these little puppies up into cashew butter!  I love, love, love nut butters but have never made cashew butter before.  It's so decadent and rich! And, let me tell you, it's way too easy!!!  

Cashews have a delicate flavor and when they are roasted the flavor turns slightly buttery.  And the aroma...sigh, is so delightful!!  I used to think that they were just a fancy nut that didn't have many qualities, but as it turns out, they weren't just a pretty face. Cashews have a lower fat content then you might think when compared to other nuts and the fats they do have are 75% unsaturated fatty acids.  Also, of this unsaturated fatty acids, most of it contains oleic acid, the same heart healthy monounsaturated fat that can also be found in olive oil.  Cashews are good for your heart and they can also reduce high triglyceride levels in the blood stream. They are also a good source or magnesium which is vital for healthy bones.  Magnesium is also great for reducing muscle spasms, migraines, cramps, lowering blood pressure, and even asthma.   

Interesting note:  If you eat cashews or any nuts raw, make sure to soak them in water for 4-12 hours.  The reason is, nuts and seeds have enzyme inhibitors.  What's that, you ask?  Well, Mother Nature is smart.  Nuts and seeds have been equipped with these inhibitors until the right conditions come about for them to sprout and start to grow.  Bad thing about these inhibitors is that they can cause digestion problems when eaten, even preventing our own enzymes from breaking down the food in our digestive tracts.  That means we cannot absorb the nutrients and vitamins of that food.  Also, the nutrition value of soaked nuts are even greater than the unsoaked variety! So make sure that you soak those nuts! 

Another way to release the enzyme inhibitors is by roasting them.  And that's what I did here.  It's very easy to make nut butter and you don't have to worry about added preservatives, oils, high fructose corn syrup or anything else nasty. I have a craving, let's get to it!!


Roasted Cashew Butter
Makes about 1 cup

Ingredients:
2 cups of raw cashews - make sure they are not roasted and salted
1 tbsp of raw honey (optional) 
1 tbsp of coconut oil (optional)
Pinch of sea salt (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 300 F.  Place raw cashews on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. They should be golden in color and have a wonderful fragrance.
2. Let the nuts cool before adding them to a food processor.  Blend on high for a few minutes until the cashews look sandy.  Scrape the sides of the container down and continue to blend.  After a few minutes the cashews will start to release their oils and create a smooth butter.  I added the coconut oil to make it a smoother consistency.  Taste, if you like you could also add 1 tablespoon of agave nectar for added sweetness and or a pinch of sea salt.
3. Place contents into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to a month, but I doubt it will last the week.

Tips: Use this nut butter in place of peanut butter in your favorite recipes.  Also if you want a chunkier butter you could add chopped cashews to the smooth butter after you're done blending.  You could also make this using raw soaked nuts to make a butter but that will have to be another post.


With love,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment