Friday, March 9, 2012

What's all this Green Ritual stuff about?


Hello and Welcome to The Green Ritual!

I’m coming to you live from Southern California where the sun always shines (usually) and palm trees line the streets...well, some of the streets.  My husband and I moved here from Chicago, about six months ago, where we lived the city life and loved every minute of it.  Now we live just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean in a magical place that boasts the highest number of 72°F days than anywhere else in the world!  Can you say paradise??  (I'm sorry!  I couldn't help myself!)  Life is so different here on the west coast and there are some great advantages.  Such as the fresh local organic produce.  I can find a farmers market that is relatively  close to where I live nearly every day of the week!  Another great advantage is the consistent warm weather (I promise that will be the last time I mention the awesome weather...this post...)  And, of course, seeing the ocean and mountains everyday!  A friend once asked me "if you had to chose where to live, would it be near the ocean or near the mountains?"  Luckily, where we are, we do not have to choose.  




But I didn't just start this blog to brag about where I live. I started The Green Ritual to share my passion for a healthy lifestyle, something that comes fairly easy to the people who live in paradise.  ;)  But seriously, there is a lot of information regarding health and nutrition out there, but sadly this information can be controversial, sometimes misleading and most of the time straight up confusing!  I want to show you simple tips and techniques that will help you to feel more balanced and most importantly, to feel connected with your role as you journey to find what works best for you.  I am a Holistic Nutrition Counselor studying how living a whole foods, green lifestyle plays the biggest part in my health and happiness as well as others.  My goal is to help people make healthy, sustainable decisions for their lives by adopting a whole foods, mostly plant based-diet.  In this blog I will share healthy delicious recipes (husband approved), my passion for REAL food and what it can offer, and many other aspects of my daily ritual.  


So here are the 5 W's.


Who:  My name is Kristen Shumaker (a.k.a. K) and I am a Holistic Nutrition Counselor.
What: The Green Ritual (we are getting to that part, read below.)
When:  Right now!  And every week I hope to post something new and informative and hopefully exciting! 
Where:  We already discussed this part.
Why:  Because this is my passion!  I gave myself my twenties to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.  Some people know when they are kids, some people never really know.  I am fortunate to have figured it out and it's all coming together!  I don't need to get into the obesity epidemic that is going on in our nation to explain why either.  We all know there needs to be a change.




To help you understand a little more about the name of my blog (and my counseling practice) I wanted to share what a ritual means to me.  A ritual is something that is done repeatedly, it has been established as part of your life and allows you to feel a connection with something.  My ritual has done many things for me, it has grounded me, it has connected me to nature, with the air I breath, and has allowed me to see how precious life is.  This connection allows your body to heal itself using the awesome force of nature, it allows your mind to be at peace and allows your heart to feel strong, loved and connected with others. 


I encourage you all to find your own ritual, one that makes you feel whole, inspired, and motivated to do what’s right for you and your health.  My ritual just happens to be a green one.  


But we'll get into that later.

With love,


No comments:

Post a Comment