Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lemon Glazed Citrus Cupcakes




One year ago today, this happened....



Stephen and I got married! And in celebration of our one year anniversary, I decided to make Lemon Glazed Citrus Cupcakes because that was the same cake I made for our wedding! That's right...I made my own wedding cake! With the help of Stephen, his brother Matthew and my dear friend Kristina, we put together a lovely vegan wedding cake.  I had the guys zesting and juicing lemons until their hands were soar and sweet Kristina helped me assemble and ice the cake and she did the lovely decorations. Seriously, if it wasn't for you three, I don't know how I would have managed such a task!  
Cassandra Eldridge Photography

Cassandra Eldridge Photography

Cassandra Eldridge Photography

It was a DIY wedding, my good friends and family helped with the decorations of the gallery where we had our reception, my bridesmaids helped make my veil, did the flower arrangements, we made gorgeous paper flower ivy which hung above the wedding party's table...it was unbelievable! My closest friends from culinary school catered the reception and the food was amazing! And this goes without saying, but without our parents, none of this would have even happened. There are just too many wonderful things about our wedding and reception and too many people to thank.  We will never forget that day, all of our wonderful friends and family who helped make it possible (with such a small budget I might add). And of course, the delicious cake!


There are a few adjustments that I made here, one being, I made it gluten-free as well! Instead of using wheat flour I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour.  Also, instead of making a frosting, I went with a lemon glaze because IT IS SO GOOD!!! Lemon glazed anything tastes like heaven. It's ridiculously easy, just lemon juice and powdered sugar.  Not the healthiest thing on Earth, but hey, we're celebrating!


This recipe made a perfect dozen...although some are bigger than others, I will not discriminate. They will each be eaten equally. Since I go crazy for lemon glaze I double dunked the cupcakes letting the first layer set before dunking again. Yeah baby! That's what I'm talking about!  I might be on a sugar high right now...I'm typing faster than ever!  Might need to do a juice cleanse.  Next week! After these puppies are gone.


Lemon Glazed Citrus Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup of flour or Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
1 cup of sugar (I used turbinado) 
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of lemon and lime juice (2 lemons 2 limes)
2 tbsp of lemon and lime zest 
5 tbsp of coconut oil
1 tsp of vanilla 
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of apple cider vinegar 
1 vanilla bean (optional, slit down the center using the back of a knife, scrap seeds out)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with paper cups.
2. Sift the flour and baking soda into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine the rest of the ingredients, the wet ingredients. Whisk together well.  
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the flour. It will fizzle a bit from the citrus and the baking soda. Stir to combine. 
5. Then ladle cake batter into the paper cups and bake for 15-20 minutes.  Use a toothpick to see if they are ready. Make sure not to over bake.
6. Allow to cool for 20 minutes or so before glazing.  Yes, you'll have a wait a little while longer.

Lemon Glaze

Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
Juice and zest of 2 lemons

1. Whisk ingredients together. If you want it thinner add more juice, thicker add more powdered sugar. I nearly doubled the glaze recipe due to the sugar high. 
2. After cupcakes have cooled, dunk them into the glaze and set back down to set...or you could just eat them right away.

It's that easy and that tasty.  Happy Anniversary love!

<3
K

p.s. Our wedding photographer was Cassandra Eldridge. She is fabulous! She takes such beautiful photos and I would totally recommend her! Check out her blog at http://cassandraeldridge.com/.  
Cassandra Eldridge Photography
http://cassandraeldridge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment